Friday, October 3, 2014

B12 shots

Today, my own vet came to the house to administer another round of cobalamin or B12 vitamin for Basti. She also left a vial for the next round, 3 weeks from now so I'm happy to say she kept her word; I can do it myself!
I mentioned the dietary changes I had made to Basti's food and she mentioned that Hill's Science Plan (the food she's currently on) also has a diet version. I checked: the amount of fiber doesn't come close to what Vet Concept has. The only good thing is that Hill's food doesn't contain potatoes, nor does it contain yeast. I recently read  that feeding potatoes to an IBD cat isn't such a good idea anyway; the complex sugars of potatoes feed the 'bad bacteria' (whatever they may be) in the gut of the cat. Then again, the probiotics I'm feeding the cat on advice of the holistic vet contains dextrose. How do I explain to my vets I really don't want sugars?!?

Not in the box, but on top of the box...
I must admit however, that she's 3,4 kg at this point (the vet weighed her today) which means she gained a whopping 150 grams in the last few weeks! Whether that's due to any dietary changes however, remains the question. Her coat is softer and she's been very cuddly the last few weeks...She's never been a lapcat but she's been asking to sit in my lap!

The last few days I've seen a gradual decline in eating but the vet confirmed my belief: after 3 weeks, the B12 shots wear off and you see the results immediately...her food intake also goes down. Let's see if the amount of food she consumes per day goes up again after the shot; if it does, than that's how we can keep her at a decent weight. If it doesn't, it's back to messing with food.

No comments:

Post a Comment