Tuesday, April 26, 2016

Constipation problems

When she feels bad, she 'hangs her head'..
I was reading the entry from last October and realized that the cycle had repeated itself: she looked constipated again (it was gone over the winter). She was throwing up her food in her food bowl after eating way too fast and also throwing up 'foam' with blades of grass the length of my hand...crazy! I decided to take a trip to the vet who concluded that her bowels were indeed a little clogged up. She suggested Isogel, a stuff in powdered form that is tasteless and can be mixed in with moist food. The later is always a problem because wet food causes diarrhea for her and I don't want her to be uncomfortable.

However, a shot of Cerenia from the vet and the Isogel mixed with mashed Whiskas from a pouch seemed to work wonders. The worse the contents of the wet food, the better she is able to handle it. Trying to feed her Whiskas with Isogel a second time failed miserably of course but that seemed to be okay. Of course, I don't know if it was the Cerenia that worked for her of the Isogel but I do know that during the 'shedding months' (spring and autumn), I need to use the Furminator to thin out her undercoat. I still don't believe it myself but for a shorthaired cat, she sheds like crazy! But combing, Cerenia or Isogel, (or a combination of all three) it looks like the constipation problems have been solved for the time being.

No comments:

Post a Comment